Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Hold the Door, You Sexist Man!

Often, we talk about females being discriminated against due to their sex. However, society tends to forget that this happens to men too. On askmen.com, there is a little quote "Are you damned if you do, damned if you don't?" and underneath, an article called "Is Holding the Door Sexist?". This article addresses the fact that men are expected to be chivalrous, yet if they do something for a women, they are deemed sexist and that they believe women are weak.  Men are damned if they hold the door, but damned if they don't. My own experience of what this article explains comes from hanging out with my friends. My friends and I were walking out of a diner last month. My guy friend sped ahead and held the door for a woman  and she was very appreciative. We walked away, then another man opened the door for his wife. "What, you don't think I can't open a door because I'm a woman? It ain't that big and heavy," the woman snapped. I couldn't believe I heard what I did. Sexism right in front of my face.  
When I read the article, I immediately thought of the incident from last month. I didn't realize it at the moment, but that was so sexist. My guy friend was thanked for holding the door for a woman, while another man was scolded for holding a door for a woman. I felt bad for men, as I bet they go through this a lot. There is really no way out of it for them. If they don't hold the door, they're rude. But if they hold the door, they're calling the woman feeble. 
Sexism is a man's problem, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment